Development trusts are community organisations which:
- are owned and managed by the local community
- aim to achieve the sustainable regeneration of a community or address a range of economic, social, environmental and cultural issues within a community
- are independent but seek to work in partnership with other private, public and third sector organisations
- aim to reduce dependency on grant support by generating income through enterprise and the ownership of assets. All trading surpluses are principally reinvested in the organisation or the community.
Sustaining Dunbar is a member of the Development Trusts Association Scotland.
Independent businesses Sustaining Dunbar has helped to develop
- Dunbar Community Bakery Ltd is a community co-operative that is owned by its members and is accountable to them. It was registered as an Industrial and Provident Society in June 2009.
- SpareWheels CIC is a car club was launched in May 2011 with 2 cars in Dunbar available to hire to members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It is a Community Interest Company run by a board of volunteers for the benefit of its members.