In 2011 local traders along with a number of interested individuals and support from Sustaining Dunbar launched an initiative to achieve Fair Trade status for the town.
Sustaining Dunbar provides nominal ongoing support, including hosting its website. However the group is run completely independently.
A Fairtrade Town is any community that:
- Supports Fairtrade and works to deepen understanding of the benefits that Fairtrade brings
- Takes action by choosing Fairtrade products whenever possible and encourages others to do likewise
- Achieves and continues to take action on the five Fairtrade Town goals set by the Fairtrade Foundation
The Five Goals for a Fairtrade Town
- Local Council passes a resolution supporting Fairtrade, and agrees to serve Fairtrade products
- A range of Fairtrade products is readily available in the area’s retails outlets and served in local catering outlets
- Local workplaces and community organisations support Fairtrade and use Fairtrade products whenever possible
- Media coverage and events raise awareness and understanding of Fairtrade across the community
- A local Fairtrade steering group is convened to ensure the Fairtrade Town Campaign continues to develop and gain new support
“Coffee berries (1)” by Vinayaraj – Own work. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons – http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coffee_berries_(1).jpg#mediaviewer/File:Coffee_berries_(1).jpg